Treloar’s tea loaf
Thu 04 Apr 2019
Next month our new Gardens and Health beneficiary, Treloar’s are encouraging people to hold a tea party, or take a #SelfTea. The campaign will help raise vital funds to support the inspirational young people they work with.
This recipe, for delicious Treloar Tea Loaf, was created by a Liveryman at the Worshipful Company of Cooks as the star bake for the “Tea for Treloar” campaign.
Find out more about hosting your own Tea for Treloar’s party here.
- 1 cup cold black tea
- 225g/ 8oz mixed dried fruit
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 112g/4oz caster sugar
- 1 large beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- Place the fruit in a small bowl and pour the cold tea over the top
- Soak overnight if possible, or until the fruit swells
- Grease a 1.5lb (675g) loaf tin
- Preheat oven to 180c or gas 4
- In a bowl combine the flour, sugar, egg and marmalade
- Then, pour in the fruit and any tea left in the bowl. Stir thoroughly
- Pour the batter into the lined loaf tin and bake in the oven for approximately 1 hour, until firm.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
- Enjoy sliced, with or without butter, and alongside your favourite brew!