Mark Hix’s pumpkin and chorizo soup
Thu 25 Oct 2018
This Halloween, pumpkins aren’t just for carving. Chef, restaurateur and food writer Mark Hix is a supporter of our fantastic beneficiary Macmillan Cancer Support, and has sent us his delicious Autumnal recipe for pumpkin and chorizo soup – perfect for warming up as the colder nights draw in.
The National Garden Scheme has been supporting Macmillan since 1984 and is the charity’s longest standing partner, having donated over £16.7 million during that time. The money the National Garden Scheme has donated to Macmillan has funded 149 Macmillan Professional posts across the UK, providing the medical, practical and emotional support that can make such a huge difference to people living with cancer.
- 1x large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1x clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 120g cooking chorizo, cut into 1cm chunks, or slices
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp flour
- 1.5 litres hot vegetable or chicken stock
- 500-600g peeled weight of firm fleshed pumpkin, or squash, cut into 11/2-2cm chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp chopped parsley
- Gently cook the onion, garlic, thyme and chorizo in the olive oil in a covered pan for 3-4 minutes, stirring every so often, without colouring.
- Add the flour and mix well then slowly stir in the hot vegetable stock, a little at a time to avoid lumps forming. Season and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the pumpkin and continue cooking for 15 minutes or so.
- Blend a ladleful of the soup, including bits of pumpkin and chorizo, in a blender until smooth then return to the pan with the parsley. Simmer for a few more minutes and serve.
Recipe provided by Mark Hix (www.hixrestaurants.co.uk), supporter of Macmillan Cancer Support.