Fruity tea bread
Tue 02 Jan 2018
This fruity tea bread recipe gives you the opportunity to make it your own with your choice of tea flavour. Enjoy!
- 300ml boiling water
- 4 tea bags containing Lapsang, Earl Grey (or any strong tea will do)
- 500g pack mixed dried fruit
- 250g self-raising flour
- 125g light brown sugar
- 1-2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 1kg loaf tin, greased and lined with baking parchment.
1. Put the four tea bags into a large bowl and pour 300ml boiling water over them.
2. Leave to brew for 10 minutes.
3. Carefully remove the tea bags and squeeze out the water.
4. Add the fruit to the tea and leave the mixture to soak for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
5. Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas mark 4.
6. In a large bowl of food processor combine the sugar, flour and mixed spice.
7. Add the beaten egg into the fruit/cold tea and combine.
8. Add the tea, fruit and egg to the dry ingredients and stir well until fully combined.
9. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
10. Bake for 1 hour, or until the loaf is risen and firm to the touch.
11. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
12. Then turn out the loaf to cool on a wire rack.
13. When cold wrap the loaf in greaseproof paper and store in a container for 2 days as this improves the flavour.
14. To serve, cut into thick slices and spread with butter.