National Garden Scheme Photography Competition
Since 1927 we’ve been opening the gates to Britain’s most brilliant gardens. From vast Capability Brown landscapes to chic inner-city retreats, the gardens we open all have one thing in common – they all look fabulous. To celebrate our 90th anniversary we’ve launched the first ever National Garden Scheme photography competition!
Great gardens, great cake, great photos
We’ve partnered with BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine to celebrate the glory of the garden and we’re inviting everybody to take part! With top prizes including a private trip to our President Mary Berry’s garden, this is definitely an opportunity not to miss!
When does the competition open?
The competition begins on the first day of our 90th Anniversary Weekend (27th May) and finishes on 1st September. The winners will be announced Mid-September!
How do I get involved?
The first thing you need to do is take a photo in a National Garden Scheme garden. To find out which gardens are open near you click here to use our Garden Finder.
Once you’ve visited a garden, taken your photos and made the tough choice of which to submit, you need to enter the competition. To do that either visit our online form or email firstname.lastname@example.org including your name, contact number, specification of amateur or professional photographer, and for each photograph – garden name, a short description of the photo taken (max 60 words) and the category entered.
To enter please complete this form.
Below are some FAQs but you can view the full terms and conditions here.
What are the categories?
- Best overall photo
- Celebrating National Garden Scheme gardens
- BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine Category ‘Fantastic Flowers’
- Best photo that depicts the connection between gardens and health
- Investec – Out of the Ordinary: best garden photo (for Investec Clients & Staff only)
What are the prizes?
Best Overall Photo
- Amateur Category – A trip to Mary Berry’s garden with four friends
- Professional Category – Signed copy of Mary Berry cookbook
Celebrating National Garden Scheme gardens
- A book bundle from the National Garden Scheme, including a signed copy of Mary Berry’s latest cook book.
BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine ‘Fantastic Flowers’
- £500-worth of STIHL cordless garden tools or accessories of the winner’s choice. The range can be viewed at stihl.co.uk/cordless
Best Gardens for Health photo
- A Spa day – destination TBC
Who’s judging the competition?
The judging panel will consist of:
- National Garden Scheme representative
- Professional Photographer
- Investec representative
- BBC Gardeners’ World Magazine representative
What happens to the winning photos?
Winners of the competition will also have their images displayed at an event for the National Garden Scheme in October at the Garden Museum.
I’m a professional photographer, can I enter too?
Of course! Professional photographers are welcome to enter the ‘Celebrating NGS gardens’ and ‘Gardens and Health’ categories.
Are there any gardens not taking part?
Some of our gardens are not taking part in the photography competition. See below for the full list: