Set in its own parkland and grounds in the SDNP with views towards Cissbury Ring and the sea. Spectacular drifts of daffodils and snowdrops. Cedar trees and a holm oak hedge line the drive; by the pond is a metasequoia glyptostroboides. Walled kitchen garden with plots let out to Findon Gardening Club. Original L-shaped greenhouse featuring cork screw winding gear, still in partial working order.
How to find us
Cissbury, Nepcote Lane, Findon, Worthing, West Sussex, BN14 0SR
5m N of Worthing in the hamlet of Nepcote, Findon. From A24 S follow signs to Worthing. Only turn L at the sign for Nepcote. After about 100 metres at the sharp LH-corner, turn R into Cissbury’s driveway.
More about Cissbury
Cissbury is located in a tranquil setting in the South Downs National Park. Set in it’s own parkland and grounds, it looks east towards Cissbury Ring, the largest Neolithic hill fort in Southern England, whose history dates back 5000 years.
The house has been in the Wyatt family for over 200 years and there are approximately ten acres in total. From the house, the bank rises steeply; each lawn is stepped and they were originally the rose garden, the lawn tennis court and the croquet lawn. On the south side there is a large Buxus sempervirens with a passage through the middle that leads up to the top of the hill, where the summer house is. This is round in shape and has galletted flintwork (small pieces of flint pushed into the mortar) on the outer walls.
On one side of the summer house there is a flat area of lawn bordered on one side by a yew hedge that has five small semi circular alcoves cut into it, one for each child in the dining room. Each alcove is planted with a different type of hedge including privet and berberis. From the summer house the Hill Walk extends east through an area of woodland known as the Wilderness, towards Cissbury Ring and up to the Hill Barns via Evelyn Wyatt’s picnic spot. This is crescent shaped, with the fence extending out into the field to allow better views over the park and towards Cissbury Ring and, on the south side, views of the sea.
The garden was redesigned after 1945 by Oliver Wyatt, who was a prominent member of the Royal Horticultural Society. He planted the cedar trees and holm oak hedge down the drive and the metasequoia glyptostroboides tree by the pond. He also designed the Shrubbery Walk, that originally had extensive flower beds on either side of the path, and the Aubretia Walk.
The garden is mainly a spring garden with spectacular drifts of daffodils, snowdrops and bluebells. Oliver Wyatt was a snowdrop enthusiast who discovered and named two varieties of snowdrops, namely Galanthus Maidwell L and Maidwell C, after Maidwell Hall Prep School, where he was Headmaster. The snowdrop has a small green cross inside the white petals. He also named Clematis Macropetala (Maidwell Hall) and an example is planted by the steps leading up to the summer house.
The outline of the walled kitchen garden appears on an 1875 map and is divided into three main areas. In the middle of the walled garden is an L-shaped greenhouse, which was built as a wedding present to Evelyn Wyatt. The greenhouse contains all the original features including the cork screw winding gear that is still in partial working order. The lean-to part of the greenhouse consists of five separate bays, two of which are for vines and one for orchids.
The walled garden has twenty five vegetable plots that are let out to Findon Gardening Club members.