The Arboretum at Framingham currently some 14 hectares, lies on the south slope of a 50 metre hill from which there are extensive views to the north east across some ornamental ponds built in the C18, and towards Great Yarmouth and the sea. In the middle distance St Andrew’s church, Framingham Pigot is framed.
Sunday 21 October (10am - 3pm). Admission £5.00, children free. Tea.
Mr James Colman
How to find us
The Barn Arboretum, Spur Lane, Framingham Earl, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 7SA
3m SE of Norwich. From A47 take A146 for 1½m. Turn R at Old Feathers signed Framingham Pigot Business Centre. Follow the signs to Poringland after 1m the entrance is on L.
More about The Barn Arboretum
Francis Blomfields’ “History of Norfolk” makes it clear that Framingham Earl estate, from the early medieval period to the mid 18th century, belonged to the Earls and Dukes of Norfolk. By 1786 however, the estate and house, known as Framingham Old Hall, had been acquired by Edward Rigby, a well-known doctor who practised in Norwich from 1769 until his death in 1821. He was both Surgeon and Physician at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, well informed scientifically, and a keen observer of the natural world. Most of the mature trees and notably the magnificent cedars at Framingham were planted by him.
The Colman family acquired the property at Framingham in 1929 and the planting of the Arboretum embracing the framework of Edward Rigby’s original concept was started in 1986. As the Arboretum develops the aim is for the visitor to be able to enjoy “the magic and satisfaction of many kinds of splendid trees and woody plants”.