Small woodland garden of about 1½ acres created by plantsman the late William Nourish. Trees, shrubs, bulbs and many interesting collections throughout the yr. Maintained since 1987 by ‘The Friends of the Garden’ on behalf of Ampthill Town Council.
See us on Facebook Kings Arms Garden.
How to find us
King's Arms Garden, Ampthill, Bedfordshire, MK45 2PP
8m S of Bedford. Free parking in town centre. Entrance opp Old Market Place, down King's Arms Yard.
More about King's Arms Garden
The earliest reference to this land names it as ‘The Hop Ground’ in 1676. Through the years many changes took place: it was used as a paddock, a cricket ground, then a holding place for stock and subsequently became a rubbish dump. Ampthillians knew the area as “Mr Nourish’s Garden” because in 1968 the late W H (Bill) Nourish obtained permission from the Ampthill Town Council to clear and plant the land. Mr Nourish, a distinguished horticulturist was A.D.A.S. Regional Horticultural Officer until his retirement in 1970. During the years until he died in 1986, he used all his professional ability and gifts as a plantsman to create a lovely woodland garden. This story is included for visitors and newcomers to the town. Since 1987 the garden has been maintained by the Friends of the Garden on behalf of Ampthill Town Council. It is usually open the last Sunday in the month to the public and to groups by arrangement except in November and December. The first opening of the year is in late January for the many varieties of snowdrops and other spring flowers. Bill planted so well that there is something new to be seen every month.