Opening dates and times:For NGS: Tue 2 to Sun 7 Apr incl (10-6); Mon 6 May (2-6); Tue 7 to Sun 12 May incl (10-6); Sun 9 to Sat 15 June incl (10-6)
For other opening times and information, please phone or see garden website
Admission:Adm £5, chd free
Refreshments:Home-made teas Mon 6 May only (2-6)
Contact:Mrs M Caroe
Telephone: 01428 683413
Location:6m S of Godalming.
A283 to Wormley. Turn L at Hambledon. On NGS days only, follow yellow Vann signs for 2m. Please park in field, not in road
click here for a map
Description:5-acre English Heritage registered garden surrounding Tudor and William and Mary house (not open) with Arts and Crafts additions by W D Caröe incl a Bargate stone pergola. At the front, brick-paved original ‘cottage’ garden; to the rear, ¼-acre pond, yew walk with rill and Gertrude Jekyll water garden. Snowdrops and hellebores, spring bulbs, Fritillaria meleagris in March. Island beds, crinkle crankle wall, orchard with wild flowers, vegetable garden. Centenary garden and woodland
In the press:Featured in Gardens Illustrated and Surrey Life
Disability information:Deep water. Water garden paths not suitable for wheelchairs, but many others are. Please ring prior to visit to request disabled parking
Further details:A 5-acreEnglish heritage Grade 2* listed garden ,maintained by the owner with three days help. It surrounds and complements a historic family home dating from the 16 Century, and added to each century since, giving a series of garden rooms of great variety, from the formal old “cottage garden” at the front , with delightfully informal planting, continuing south past a hedge of sweet smelling azalea pontica, to a robust pergola of Bargate stone by W.D.Caröe., leading to the enlarged field pond.
The unique Water Garden by Gertrude Jekyll (1911) comprises a succession of small ponds crossed by stone paths and bridges,and planted with many damp-loving plants that she supplied, including ferns, leucojum, gaulteria, pulmonaria, trakestemon, peltaphyllum, rodgersia,and caltha, and more recent re-planting with newer varieties of hosta, hemoracallis helleborus and pulmonaria..“
Three "Island beds" have been made in the old orchard to allow use of more "modern" plants, and double borders were created in the vegetable garden for the 150 Jekyll celebrations in 1992 , the north border using her colour gradients, and allowing use of plants of special interest.
A stream runs through the garden from the north, enclosed by large Yew hedges (1909) Originally planted as a rose garden the depredations of the wild deer have led us to remove the roses and re-plant with foliage plants to give round the year interest.
A crinkle-crankle wall behind the greenhouse supports peaches and pears and a "centenary garden" has been created in 2008 to the south of the greenhouse with yew "pavilions", seats from our own planked oak,and floored with glass bottles to reflect the mediaeval glass-works in the adjacent wood.
A yew hedge provides a back-drop for the herb garden with topiary cats and a mouse !
Plantings filling other corners make an integrated whole.