Location:1m SW of Chepstow.
From Chepstow take A48 W towards Newport (signed Caerwent). 1m from Chepstow turn L to Mathern village. 1m through village, Mathern House on R
click here for a map
Description:Long established informal 2-acre country house garden which has been refurbished and developed by current owners over the past 20yrs. Various separate areas, incl fine mature trees, brimming herbaceous and shrub borders, lawns, topiary and potted Japanese acer collection
Plant & produce for sale
Disability information:Gravel paths
Further details:Mathern House is in an area full of historical interest, being close to the ancient Bishops of Llandaff Palace, who acquired the land in the seventh century from the son of Tewdric, King of Glamorgan who was killed in battle and was buried in the nearby church which bears his name. The Palace was owned by historian and gardener H. Avary Tipping, who also laid out the gardens. Mathern House originally adjoined the Palace and the far famed spring where Tewdric died, was in the grounds. Records show that Mathern House has existed from early 1600 and the garden was quite extensive; the “For Sale” particulars from 1902 show some “11acres of grounds including lawns and pleasure gardens”. Old photographs from 1914 show the layout of the front garden including the 60 yard long wisteria which still exists, and an eight sided Japanese pagoda tea house in the rear garden, which sadly has not survived. Today the garden is 2 acres, which has been refurbished and developed by the current owners over the last 20 years; with many large mature trees reflecting the gardens longevity including evergreen oak, yew, robinia, holly, sycamore, and silver birch. Extensive hedging, topiary and box hedging parterre add permanent structure to the garden Immediately in front of the house a large lawn is surrounded by overflowing herbaceous borders which in turn lead to a small white garden with hesperis and digitalis. The robinia trees at the entrance are under planted for winter and spring with hellebores, euphorbia and pulmonaria and nearby is a newly planted pink and blue border of delphiniums, new English roses and viburnum. The main rear garden is also surrounded by mature trees, and comprises a large lawn and brimming mixed borders, together with a small vegetable plot maintained by the grandchildren. This is a family garden; younger visitors will be able to take advantage of the children’s activity play area.